Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I was multitasking as I wrote this

After a year into it, I can safely say that I've never really known real multitasking until I became a stay-at-home mom.

It was quite a face-palm realization.  I used to think I was the queen of multitasking.  Writing an ad for a client, and writing another ad for a different client, and picking up the phone about a client project, and approving a host of other client requirements --all at the same time.
But looking back, while there were indeed a lot of stuff going on, they were basically the same stuff.  All work, all ads.  I'm not belittling the past. That was still a difficult feat to beat.  However, it's not as extreme as the brand of multitasking I'm going through now as a SAHM.

Ironing clothes, and preparing breakfast for the hubby, and listening to tales from the kiddos, and playing with the kiddos while getting them ready for school, and chasing the dog who ran away with the lunch bag, and thinking of an ad for a client --all at the same time. And THIS is just the beginning of the day! 

It's harder because I can't stop mid-laundry and say, "Well, you'll just have to wait!  The leadtime wasn't long enough!"
Or raise an eyebrow at a booboo and say, "It's small.  You can handle it.  You want me to handle that, give me your salary."
Or ignore a financial discussion with the husband and say, "Do you have a JO for this manhour?"
And of course, I still take on part time work writing ads for clients.

All throughout, I have to achieve some form of calm and fluidity.  Some deity-like power of focus and compartmentalization.  I usually fail than succeed, but I'm getting better at it.
Eventually, I shall be like Shiva (I know he's a man, bear with me) ...as serene and as skilled as a dancer as she (ok, he!) destroys all adversities threatening her (hisss...) brood.  And creating, providing beautiful things out of nothing in one smooth, death-defying sweep.
From multitasking queen ...to multitasking goddess (GOD, I mean, god!).

But, boy, are my arms tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment