Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Jane Addiction

I know, I know... I said I wouldn't blog about Halloween anymore.  Sue me for allowing Halloween to have a special place in my heart.  But this beauty came in as a late entry, and believe me when I say it is so blog-worthy.

Presenting Jane-in-the-Box!

Like most Jack-in-the-Boxes, she came in a wonderful tin box decked with lovable kiddie images of blocks, ponies, duckies and warmth.  The artwork held some kind of old world charm.  It reminded me of those old tin lunch boxes and summers at the beach.

Like most Jack-in-the-Boxes, the tin also had a crank on the side.  However, instead of the expected clickety-click tune of Pop Goes The Weasel, what comes out is a series of eerie moaning.  That's when things start to get pretty dubious.

And then... BAM!  AAAAHHH!!!!  Pop goes Chuckie's bride in sleepwear!!!!

Ah, yes, this is Jane.  Her beautiful face is made of smooth vinyl made lumpy by her scars.  Her eyes are mismatched for some odd reason.  Her hair is the scraggly Barbie-type hair held in futility by a tiny band.  Her dress is shiny, shimmery satin.  Her arms, cottony felt, for easy folding back into the box for reusable wet-your-pants fright sessions.

Jane-in-the-Box's shock factor is awesome.  You don't get that with any other kind of halloween toy.  Usually it's all blood and guts out in the open.  Jane has subtlety and the element of surprise and the huge possibility of nightmares for many years to come.   A nifty gift idea (for Halloween or not) that promises ...you will be remembered.

Go out and find her.  Before she finds you.

No comments:

Post a Comment