Sunday, January 17, 2010

Of Moms and Movies

I don't know it it has anything to do with regressing age (read:  second childhood) or just my dear, sweet status as a loving mother --but I'm so liking children's movies more now than the average adult flick.
I would like to think that nothing 'newsy' fresh out of Hollywood has come up to grab me by the tits.  But that would be lying.  There are a lot of good films that have come by.  But I don't know.  They just didn't get me enough to actually take the effort to get dressed, get out of the house, and watch them.  Odd.
However...
I am absolutely pumped to take the kids to movies like CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS and PLANET 51.  And this I say with great pride.  I'm not even slinking in the corner for shame at being this thrilled to see a kiddie movie.  I've been like this even for G-FORCE.
Maybe it's the artist in my blood.  I've always thought CG movies are something to see because of the great art and effort that go into each production.  But then...there was Avatar, which catered to an older segment in the movie-viewing population.  That was CG.  And I didn't buy into that (see earlier blog).
So I have my keen maternal instincts to blame.  I think.  Lately, this instinct has kicked into full throttle.  I have been so in touch with my inner child that I get to second guess my boys now.  And I get to think like them, too.
I think this is a good thing, if you're a mom at least.  Heck, maybe even if you're not!  It's great to be in touch with your inner youth.  It keeps you fun and alive.  Not to say that adult movies kill the joy-joy in you.  But kiddie movies definitely lift those flabby smile lines into better shape than the average war flick, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment