Now, a rundown of the movie's goodies and baddies!
1. I like the whole Human vs. Magical Creatures war. Okay, Shrek did that first, but the fight scene here was way cooler.
2. That shrill, blood-curdling scream when Maleficent lost her wings. That sound will stay in my nightmares forever.
3. LOVE THE MENTAL BREAKDOWN! The dramatic transition from good fairy to evil sorceress was beautiful! From Maleficent herself to the landscape eeriefication.
4. True love does not exist as the plot trigger was harsh but realistic.
5. In your face, Philip! I'm not big on Prince Charming… ever. So I loved the way he was ditched here. You don't save the day this time, mister. Mwahaha!
6. Wardrobe! Maleficent sported a series of fantabulous capes all throughout the movie. Props to you, stylist!
Ultimate High Points:
1. GREEN FLAAAME!!!
2. The way Angelina said the curse was EXACTLY the way the animated version said it. "…on her sixteenth buuuth-day!" The nostalgic hit there was pretty intense!
1. The three fairy godmothers aka the magical world's version of The Three Stooges. I just thought they tried too hard to be funny. Oh well.
2. The real True Love was between Aurora and Maleficent… which we also saw in Frozen's siblings Anna and Elsa. It's not exactly that original as a plot twist, but it did pull heartstrings so I'm letting it slide, somewhat.
3. Aurora is crowned the new queen of the moors? Huh? Say what?
Ultimate Low Point:
1. Maleficent didn't transform into a dragon. DUUUDE! That's the whole magic of Maleficent --her turning into a frikkin badass dragon! AND YOU STOLE IT FROM MEEEE!!! The glorious makeover was given to Maleficent's shape-shifting pet crow. *sniff*
That said, did we like the movie? I'm giving it 5 super shiny stars. If you're as ancient as I am, it's a brand new take on a sentimental ride. If you're as young as my sons… well, let's just say my 10-year old boy is super crushing on Maleficent right now.
The Magnificent Maleficent. On cinemas. Watch her!