This month is just full of 'Happy' posts, huh?
This time it's a happy review on Happy Feet 2!
Ah... this calls for an enumeration!
1. I love how the concept of global warming was hinted, but not blatantly slapped on you. It was enough for the story to tell you how grave this phenomenon is. One huge thing that sort of threw me off with Happy Feet 1 was the sudden animal rights thingy that was shoved unceremoniously at the end of the film. Oh yeah, Happy Feet 2 knew the concept of smooth.
2. The awkwardness of Mumble struggling with maturity and fighting for the acceptance of his own son is just spot on. His awkwardness this time around was charming. I didn't quite get why they had to make his son 'different', too, though. Sure, awkward's cute every now and then but do we really have to make it genetic?
3. I love the introduction of the new player, Sven, the crazy cool Puffin/Penguin. Even Brian, the great elephant seal. New characters in a sequel --specially those who really shake things up-- always work for me. Comebacking characters make me smile, too. Love how that crazy bird alien abductee is still after baby penguins!
4. I love the introduction of Bill and Will, the Krills --and Will's rabid ambition to go up the food chain. Nice story on aiming for a goal and journeying to achieve it. This was a full blown movie all on its own. Yet it segued perfectly as intermittent comic relief/sub plot through the main story of Mumble.
5. I love how the humans are made more 'human' here. This time, they don't just grab a penguin off the ice to study them. They take care of them, heal them, play Led Zep with them. Sure, I would've wanted more from them in the end --but then this IS a penguin story.
6. I think the songs are better now, too. I mean, hello, Pink!
I'm stopping there right now. We did have fun. I just tend to nitpick like the judgmental hag I am.
So please take your seat --cover your ears when baby Eric starts to open his beak, hehe-- and enjoy the show.