Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Walking Dead: Not Just Another Zombie Movie

Because it's actually a TV series on AMC.  But that's not the mere difference, mind you.  It's still about zombies and head shots providing closure, but how often does a storyline like that extend for several TV show seasons? Aren't zombies only designed for 2-hour exposures a year at the most?  Isn't there such a thing as gore fatigue?  Well, I don't want to get ahead of the show.  I'm sure they have a line-up of brilliant subplots to the whole living dead theme.  In fact, I saw some inklings of those during the premiere last night.  If ever, this will be the first ultimately played out zombie 'movie' since creepy history immemorial.
Honestly, I'm not much of a zombie person.  But The Walking Dead was something I looked forward to since it announced it's debut on Fox.  Simply because it's a Robert Kirkman Image Comics adaptation.  I like that.  You know, watching adaptations and pointing out how bad the translation came out?  I'm evil like that.
Proudly I say that The Walking Dead didn't disappoint.  Well, it DID disappoint me that I can't say anything disappointing about it, but I'll live.  In fact, The Walking Dead instantly floored me on its first night.  The first 5 minutes of the show gripped me like asphyxiation on speed!  I shit you not.  Usually I reserve that reaction for big-budget films.
Let's just hope that kind of positive response continues for its 6-episode offering this season.  And that maybe we'll see a glimpse of a possible 2nd season.  Too early to tell, really.  But with last night's turn-out, I welcome the weekly gut spillage... just to dare director Frank Darabont.  And maybe just to dare myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment